Truely an American Classic
10-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Website Find
Nite Shadow Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Game trailers wanted!
[Image: cLN1R.png]
Current banner for "The Twisted Dream"
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011, 10:19 AM by Nite Shadow.)
10-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Find
TDWP_FTW Offline

Threads: 5
Working on a trailer for my Zelda fan game right now. Will edit with YouTube link and video file (For better quality) when I'm done.

EDIT: Here it is!

I'm not going to be able to upload the actual file, as Publishing straight to YouTube apparently deletes the video from your PC when it's done uploading. Feel free to download it via keepvid or whatever.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011, 06:46 PM by TDWP_FTW.)
10-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Find
Wiiboy4ever Offline

Working on my trailer for Sky High. But I recorded gameplay with Hypercam 3, and there's a watermark on the footage. I hope that's okay. :(
10-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Find
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

Threads: 72
(10-12-2011, 05:00 PM)Wiiboy4ever Wrote: Working on my trailer for Sky High. But I recorded gameplay with Hypercam 3, and there's a watermark on the footage. I hope that's okay. :(

Could you use CamStudio or some other recorder that does not have a program watermark on it, or crop out the watermark in a video editor? The watermark would look amateurish and clash with the other trailers. I really don't want to have to settle for that.
10-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Find
TDWP_FTW Offline

(10-12-2011, 06:48 PM)KiddoCabbusses Wrote: Could you use CamStudio or some other recorder that does not have a program watermark on it, or crop out the watermark in a video editor? The watermark would look amateurish and clash with the other trailers. I really don't want to have to settle for that.

This. CamStudio is free IIRC, and there's no water mark. I actually used it to record footage for my trailer.
10-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Find
Wiiboy4ever Offline

I already rendered and uploaded the trailer to YouTube.

Sorry, I guess I'll just drop out.
10-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Find
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

You could always just record a new one. If your trailer doesn't consist of anything other than gameplay footage anyway, just re-record yourself playing.

You got plenty of time on this, remember.

BTW, I've attempted reupping DJYoshiman's Trailer. Hope this helps.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011, 07:21 PM by KiddoCabbusses.)
10-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Find
Wiiboy4ever Offline

Quote:If your trailer doesn't consist of anything other than gameplay footage
It kinda does...

Also, I've used CamStudio before and it always appears laggy and the recorded quality is really bad, and I don't want more clashing than I can afford.
10-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Find
TDWP_FTW Offline

(10-12-2011, 07:21 PM)Wiiboy4ever Wrote:
Quote:If your trailer doesn't consist of anything other than gameplay footage
It kinda does...

Also, I've used CamStudio before and it always appears laggy and the recorded quality is really bad, and I don't want more clashing than I can afford.

Try the Lagirith lossless codec in the video options. It doesn't lag at all for me, and the quality is great (Hence the lossless). File size is good too (Less than a gig for 15 or so minutes).
10-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Find
PJCLink Offline

Threads: 4
(10-12-2011, 06:48 PM)KiddoCabbusses Wrote:
(10-12-2011, 05:00 PM)Wiiboy4ever Wrote: Working on my trailer for Sky High. But I recorded gameplay with Hypercam 3, and there's a watermark on the footage. I hope that's okay. :(

Could you use CamStudio or some other recorder that does not have a program watermark on it, or crop out the watermark in a video editor? The watermark would look amateurish and clash with the other trailers. I really don't want to have to settle for that.

Hey, I'm PJCLink. I joined here almost two months ago cause I wanted to show off my Zelda fan game on here but since you confirmed no watermark in videos I feel left out cause I use Unregistered Hypercam 3 also. Is there any way I can fix that without having purchase a license for Hypercam? Also don't suggest I use camstudio cause that program seems to hate me for some reason. Plus I need to be able to record in wmv format cause for some unknown reason avi files don't work properly on my computer anymore. Sad
10-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Find
Kritter Offline

Threads: 2
Perhaps it'd be best to just allow watermarked videos? It's the games that matter, not the quality of the videos, i'm sure those viewing the videos will understand.
10-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Find
DJ Yoshiman

CamStudio works fine - it'd be easier to resolve issues with it if people provided what the problems are rather than "it hates me."
10-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Wiiboy4ever Offline

Quote:CamStudio works fine
Uh, how can you say that when there are people here that are having issues with it?
10-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Find
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

(10-13-2011, 03:43 PM)Wiiboy4ever Wrote:
Uh, how can you say that when there are people here that are having issues with it?

People constantly have "issues" with things I work with on a day-to-day basis. "Issues" with torrents. "Issues" with Megaupload. "Issues" with IRC clients. Yet, I tend to be able to work with all of these easily in spite of having an under-speced, obsolete computer. And usually I'm able to guide someone through getting something like that to work, with enough time.

Cam-application watermarks should not be on the trailers. It'd set a ludicrously low standard for the quality of the livestream (Especially considering how people wanted to step up to showing original source videos hoping to -increase- the quality), and I'd be unable to have the pride in this that I had working at SAGExpo last month. I'm not going to accept something like that just because a few folks can't figure out how to use freeware or open-source alternatives to "limited trial software". NCFC is not going to advertise desktop camera software if they're not actually bribing me for it.

There's multiple ways you could do a recording that doesn't have a watermark.
If you can't do the recording yourself, perhaps someone else can, even. Considering that there's a good amount of people here that -can- use CamStudio, surely that's an option, no?
And even if all other options fail, then it shouldn't be too big a deal to get a video editor and crop it out after the fact; if you're making an actual trailer, you -are- using a video editor, right?
10-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Find
Black Squirrel Offline
Site Designer

Threads: 2
(10-13-2011, 04:20 PM)KiddoCabbusses Wrote:

People constantly have "issues" with things I work with on a day-to-day basis. "Issues" with torrents. "Issues" with Megaupload. "Issues" with IRC clients. Yet, I tend to be able to work with all of these easily in spite of having an under-speced, obsolete computer. And usually I'm able to guide someone through getting something like that to work, with enough time.
To be fair, IRC clients and web browsers don't tend to be resource heavy. Real-time video capture of fangames can be, so it's not fair to compare them.

However, CamStudio is a pretty light-weight program. I'm interested to know why people are getting poor results - I created this back in 2008 and lag wasn't an issue for me. And I was running a 2001-spec computer at the time. Let me make something clear about this - my 2001-spec PC struggled with Windows Explorer at times, but not CamStudio.

Quality issues for that movie are down to poor optimisations and old YouTube upload systems. These days you'd shove it in Windows Movie Maker and it would upload it direct. Correct-ish resolutions and everything.

If I were to hazard a guess you'd be getting lag issues if you were recording an entire screen rather than a window.
[Image: 9328_s.png]
10-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Website Find
PJCLink Offline

(10-13-2011, 03:28 PM)DJ Yoshiman Wrote: CamStudio works fine - it'd be easier to resolve issues with it if people provided what the problems are rather than "it hates me."

The problems with camstudio are:

1) The sound is always out of sync
2) The program stops recordings after a while
3) It lags

The quality of the recordings with that program good but it's those three things I listed that bug me. If there's a way to fix that, I'm all ears. Also, I need know if I can record in wmv format with camstudio.

(10-13-2011, 04:20 PM)KiddoCabbusses Wrote:

Cam-application watermarks should not be on the trailers. It'd set a ludicrously low standard for the quality of the livestream (Especially considering how people wanted to step up to showing original source videos hoping to -increase- the quality), and I'd be unable to have the pride in this that I had working at SAGExpo last month. I'm not going to accept something like that just because a few folks can't figure out how to use freeware or open-source alternatives to "limited trial software". NCFC is not going to advertise desktop camera software if they're not actually bribing me for it.

There's multiple ways you could do a recording that doesn't have a watermark.
If you can't do the recording yourself, perhaps someone else can, even. Considering that there's a good amount of people here that -can- use CamStudio, surely that's an option, no?
And even if all other options fail, then it shouldn't be too big a deal to get a video editor and crop it out after the fact; if you're making an actual trailer, you -are- using a video editor, right?

I use Windows Movie Maker 2.6 and from what I know of Windows Movie Maker 2.6 I can't crop my videos with. If you have had some experience with WMM 2.6 and know of a way to crop a video with it, please tell me how otherwise I'll have to resort to making a slideshow trailer using screenshots of my fan game.

10-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Find
TDWP_FTW Offline

PJCLink: Try VidCrop PRO. The regular version is free, but has a watermark. I'm sure you can "obtain" the paid version somehow.

Also, for a trailer, sounds aren't really necessary, especially if you're putting music over it.
10-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Find
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

(10-13-2011, 09:29 PM)TDWP_FTW Wrote: PJCLink: Try VidCrop PRO. The regular version is free, but has a watermark. I'm sure you can "obtain" the paid version somehow.

If he could pirate a Vid cropper, he'd logically be able to pirate his screen recording equipment so it wouldn't have a watermark on it, no?

Anyhow, I wouldn't recommend publicly endorsing piracy on this forum.

I guess I should ask - is your video saved in a format where it can be edited by VirtualDub, VirtualDubMod or AVIDemux? Those might be useful for video cropping.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2011, 12:05 AM by KiddoCabbusses.)
10-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Find
PJCLink Offline

(10-14-2011, 12:03 AM)KiddoCabbusses Wrote:
(10-13-2011, 09:29 PM)TDWP_FTW Wrote: PJCLink: Try VidCrop PRO. The regular version is free, but has a watermark. I'm sure you can "obtain" the paid version somehow.

If he could pirate a Vid cropper, he'd logically be able to pirate his screen recording equipment so it wouldn't have a watermark on it, no?

Anyhow, I wouldn't recommend publicly endorsing piracy on this forum.

I guess I should ask - is your video saved in a format where it can be edited by VirtualDub, VirtualDubMod or AVIDemux? Those might be useful for video cropping.

Umm, I haven't even made the clips yet for my trailer because of this no watermark inconvenience. I was going to but then this inconvenience came up. Now you're saying that trailers that are made using free registered screen recorders aren't allowed. Also, what part of I can't record in avi anymore don't you understand? If you know of free way I can record footage in wmv format with no watermark that is not illegal, I'm willing to listen. I just want my fan game to be seen on here.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2011, 03:49 PM by PJCLink.)
10-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Find