Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister) · Back to NCFC
Search · Member List · Calendar · HelpUser CP
FORUMS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Entering / creating a booth?
martijndh Offline

Entering / creating a booth?
Maybe a little early, but it can't hurt.
I'm considering entering my project this year, but am not really sure what it takes to do so. Could someone please explain the plans for this year somewhere in the next month or so.

Last year I understood that each project had to have an individual booth. Would an external forum be alright? Or can parts of this site/forum be used to showcase one's game? Or is it up to the competitors to make external sites?
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2011 08:35 AM by martijndh.)
08-26-2011 08:35 AM
Find all posts by this user
Kesha Offline
Head Director

RE: Entering / creating a booth?
People have used forum threads in the past for booths, so you could use forums or something like that for a booth. I would recommend a simple site though, since I think designing something like that for your project is part of the fun of the event. If you end up not being able to do anything though, the NCFC software should be able to create a simple booth for your games.

I'll work on getting up guidelines ASAP; I know that people who want to submit things want to make sure what they're submitting will be acceptable, so some guidelines will help in that area. We don't have very strict guidelines so I don't think people are going to have too much trouble, but even I will agree that it helps a lot to have something to work with.
08-26-2011 01:28 PM
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

Just to check, exactly what kind of projects are permitted?

Obviously fangames, but SAGExpo has also accepted PC Game Mods and ROM hacks. Same here?
09-30-2011 11:06 AM
Kesha Offline
Head Director

Well, as long as it's legal, I don't see why not. Difference from SAGE though is that we really only accept games related to Nintendo in some way (whether it be a first-party property or a game series that's been on a Nintendo console)
09-30-2011 01:52 PM
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

(09-30-2011 01:52 PM)Kesha Wrote:  Well, as long as it's legal, I don't see why not.

That's a fairly confusing answer for me considering I've always considered all of these contents in a legal grey area, but... here, let me put up an example here. I actually kind of wanted to submit it to SAGE, but the English translation part wasn't done in time, so I ended up advertising it after the fact.

(In this instance, this is a ROM hack of a Satellaview ROM.)
09-30-2011 07:11 PM
Kesha Offline
Head Director

Sorry for being a bit confusing there-

If it's a modified commercial rom, then you can only legally provide a patch as far as I know. I think there's some programs out there to make patches, but I'm not an expert on rom modifications.

Same policy for PC game mods of course- if you illegally distribute commercial games it's not something we can accept here.

If it's a totally home-made rom though, totally fine- it's not much different from a regular fangame at that point.
09-30-2011 09:14 PM
DJ Yoshiman
Unregistered

(09-30-2011 09:14 PM)Kesha Wrote:  If it's a modified commercial rom, then you can only legally provide a patch as far as I know. I think there's some programs out there to make patches, but I'm not an expert on rom modifications.
Yeah, several IPS patchers. This is usually how ROM hacks are handed out anyways, and it's common sense with ROM hackers to distribute their hacks this way.
10-01-2011 12:37 PM
Kesha Offline
Head Director

Just in case someone subscribed to this thread, I have the guidelines here: http://forum.nintendocfc.com/showthread.php?tid=111
10-02-2011 04:31 PM