Search · Member List · Calendar · HelpUser CP
FORUMS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Language for games?
-Rayo- Offline

Language for games?
I have a question:
Can someone enter with a "non-English game"?
Maybe with a game, which is made by a german.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2011 09:22 AM by -Rayo-.)
08-29-2011 08:51 AM
Find all posts by this user
Guinea Offline

RE: Language for games?
I don't think there is a rule against non-English games, but consider that the majority of people visiting this convention are Americans or English language native speakers and that that is their only language they know.
So, if you want ~90% of the people not being able to understand your game, go ahead.

It also depends on how text heavy your game is. If it's an RPG it's probably not a good idea to put it on here untranslated~
If it's a platformer, at least translate the most important things such as in-game menus and help files etc. so it's playable.

[Image: header.png]
08-29-2011 10:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Char Offline
Site Tech

As long as it can get through the English speaking QC.
Seriously if your game starts with "Jenera planõ nonët prïmo" or something and no apparent way to start the game, it probably won't get past QC.
08-29-2011 01:41 PM
Kesha Offline
Head Director

A very good question, one that I don't think has ever came up before! The answer is pretty much the above two posts.
If it's not very text heavy (like the usual Mario game), then it's really not a problem.

However, if there's a lot of text there are a few things to consider:
- NCFC is an English-speaking event, so in most cases the audience isn't going to understand another language, which means its pretty strange to submit a non-English booth.
- Most likely, the staff aren't going to be able to understand your game, which means we might have to reject it out of abuse concerns. I'd like to accept these kind of things on good faith, but you know how the internet can be!

I don't want to outright reject anything non-English, but we really don't have the resources for supporting every language out there. I think if you have an English version in addition to the original language it's probably a non-issue, but I know that's probably a lot of effort that just isn't worth it for most people. I really would like to accommodate these things, but I just don't think it's possible.
08-29-2011 03:51 PM
DeProgrammer Offline

Well, I'm about a month late in commenting on this topic, but I think it's worth it!

It's common, in commercial game design, to actually have a table of all your strings so that you can easily swap them out for alternate translations. This is a design feature that programmers should always consider if they want to give people from other countries the same opportunity as people from their own country--which, given that the internet is international, is a really good thing to do these days.

That said, even if you haven't set up your game with string tables, you could search for all the strings using the string delimiter for the programming language you're using (usually double quotation marks, but sometimes it's single quotation marks, like in PHP) and stick your text into Google Translate. It's not perfect, but it will usually give other-language-speakers a fairly good idea of what your game says.

If you want the translation to be good, you can mess around with the Google Translate results (translate both forward and backward) and possibly even submit your text, with more thorough descriptions in the case of short strings, to someone who natively speaks the language you're translating to, or even better, to a bilingual person.

Since I've used Google Translate to help translate a program before and have no plans of entering any new games into the NCFC this year, I would be willing to help translate a few games, if necessary.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2011 04:30 PM by DeProgrammer.)
10-06-2011 04:27 PM
D-Dazzle Offline

(08-29-2011 10:23 AM)Guinea Wrote:  consider that the majority of people visiting this convention are Americans or English language native speakers and that that is their only language they know.

I'm pretty sure there's also a big crowd from outside of the native English speakers, seeing that I'm Dutch myself.

.:Super Paper Bowser World!:.
NCFC BOOTH: http://www.spbw-ncfc.tk/ (WIP)
10-11-2011 10:08 AM
Guinea Offline

(10-11-2011 10:08 AM)D-Dazzle Wrote:  
(08-29-2011 10:23 AM)Guinea Wrote:  consider that the majority of people visiting this convention are Americans or English language native speakers and that that is their only language they know.

I'm pretty sure there's also a big crowd from outside of the native English speakers, seeing that I'm Dutch myself.
1. Even if the sum of all non-American people were greater than the amount of Americans, that still doesn't mean they're all speaking the same language.
2. The least common denominator is still English.
3. I'm from Austria and I still expect every game I play on the internet to feature the English language.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 09:59 AM by Guinea.)
10-12-2011 09:58 AM
Kesha Offline
Head Director

If there's a big enough interest for games in a certain language, then we can consider that for next year. It's definitely not something I'm totally against, but I don't think we could really prepare something like that for this year even if enough interest showed up.
10-12-2011 10:48 AM
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

I guess we could always Google Translate the site into other needed languages in a rush.

Not so sure about the games, though.
10-12-2011 11:55 PM
Black Squirrel Offline
Site Designer

Supporting multiple languages requires... well... a duplicate set of NCFC staff. For every language. That's if it were to be done well, as you'd need to have at least two quality control people to sort out booths and potentially more to translate. It could be done, but not with only a month to go.

With MFGG we tend to let things slide a little when it comes to multiple languages. As long as there's an English translation too, we tend to act in good faith that the one we can't read is fine. Same would probably apply here, but the key part of that sentence is "as long as there's an English translation too". This year at least, NCFC is an English site.

[Image: 9328_s.png]
10-13-2011 03:18 PM
-Rayo- Offline

Okay, now I am working on an English Version of my game, so
you can understand it when you play it.^^
This is my current booth:
http://www.nintendocfc.com/booth.html?id=14
(With german screens, which you can change when you are playing)
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2011 11:45 AM by -Rayo-.)
10-19-2011 09:26 AM
Guinea Offline

(10-19-2011 09:26 AM)-Rayo- Wrote:  Okay, now I am working on an English Version of my game, so
you can understand it when you play it.^^
This is my current boot:
http://www.nintendocfc.com/booth.html?id=14
(With german screens, which you can change when you are playing)

Maybe you shouldn't go around posting links to your booth before NCFC started, but that's just my opinion. Other than that, the game looks quite good so far.

10-19-2011 01:24 PM
Elyk Offline

I am not certain but I believe that in the past we had a game that was not in English. I know that I played one but I am not sure whether it was here or on MFGG (here if my memory is correct).
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2011 01:05 AM by Elyk.)
10-22-2011 01:04 AM