Search · Member List · Calendar · HelpUser CP
FORUMS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Super Mario Bros: The Cookie Of Destiny - 0 Stars
TDWP_FTW Offline

Super Mario Bros: The Cookie Of Destiny - 0 Stars
General commentary/overview:

Upon seeing the trailer, the game seemed like it wouldn't be too good. However, I figured I'd need to play it before making my final judgement...However, playing it only lowered my thoughts on the game.

Pros:

Honestly, I can't really think of anything that was actually good. The game is too basic, bland, and terribly put-together to say anything positive about it.

Cons:

- Movement was extremely fast, collision masks seemed way larger than the should (Fireballs, enemies, platforms, etc.)

- There was only one level. Like, really, that's it? I expected more seeing as the creator made two trailers, a game intro, and a lot more that should come after you add sufficient content to the game.

- Power ups were pretty...Meh. The mushroom gave you health, which doesn't really make sense. But I do realize it's a fan game, and not everything has to be the same from games in the actual series.

Gameplay:

The gameplay felt way too fast, and I was done with the demo within 2 minutes. Not to mention, all you do is jump over platforms, jump on Goombas, and grab two different power-ups. There aren't any other enemies, power-ups, levels, or anything that would make it fun.

Graphics:

Simplistic MS Paint graphics only added to the bad aspects of this game. The title screen had "DEMO" scribbled on it, none of the sprites looked of even near decent quality (Just outlines and fills, no shading, lighting, etc.)

Sound:

The sound/music was the absolute worst part about the demo. Annoying sound effects and voice clips throughout the game forced me to mute my speakers. And then the music. Really? Mario Hoops 3-on-3 music for the character select? That doesn't even make any sense...Not to mention, it's an insanely annoying song.

Replay:

The demo had one stage, and even then, it severely lacked content, polished game play, and other features that would make me want to play again.

Final words:

Super Mario Bros: Cookie of Destiny seems to be a game made by a Mario fan who is still very new to game development. It's not fun, it's not enjoyable to play, and it majorly lacks content. For something that seems so early into development, the creator shouldn't have entered it into NCFC. It's best to wait until your game is playable, has sufficient content, and is fun/enjoyable to play, otherwise you're just giving your game bad rep.

Final Score:

0/5.
10-23-2011 01:58 AM
Find all posts by this user
martijndh Offline

RE: Super Mario Bros: The Cookie Of Destiny - 0 Stars
That's a little harsh man. At least give him like an 0.5 for the effort or something if you don't like it. Even if you don't mean it.
10-23-2011 02:50 PM
D-Dazzle Offline

I don't think I agree with you here, but I'll keep that aside now. What I do want to mention is the graphical style that was used here. It's Yoshi's Cookie style, and thus it doesn't have any shading or anything on purpose. I don't think you should give fewer points for a chosen graphical style you don't like.

.:Super Paper Bowser World!:.
NCFC BOOTH: http://www.spbw-ncfc.tk/ (WIP)
10-23-2011 03:10 PM
Genogenesis7 Offline

Ouch.

Well, I guess some people are entitled to their opinions...

But... maybe you were being just a teensy bit hard on the game? Also, you sort of understated the amount of stages in the demo to support your opinion...
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2011 03:35 PM by Genogenesis7.)
10-23-2011 03:22 PM
Guinea Offline

I don't know from the trailer the game looked quite good, and the style was done on purpose and fits the rest of the game quite nicely. I haven't played the game yet, but I'm going to.

[Image: header.png]
10-23-2011 03:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Black Squirrel Offline
Site Designer

No Yoshi's Cookie game ever looked like the "style" in question. It's close-ish to the NES version, but the lack of shading and colours in that game can be attributed to the fact it's on the NES.

But it's not this game's fault - this concept of "Yoshi's Cookie style" being the bear minimum has been around for a few years at MFGG. I've declined many sheets over the years which claim to match.

[Image: 9328_s.png]
10-23-2011 05:12 PM
Chaoxys Offline

Quote:The mushroom gave you health, which doesn't really make sense.

The entire Mario RPG series. That is all.
10-23-2011 05:22 PM
TDWP_FTW Offline

Ok, I guess I was a little harsh, but it's not polished, fun, or enjoyable, and I don't think the creator should've submitted such an early demo, and not expect to get low scores.

While livestreaming the game for the lulz, I realized there was a second level, but that's it. I thought there was only 1 at first, cause when the first level was over, it went back to character select, so I thought it was just restarting.

My opinion on the game is still as it was before, and if you don't agree, that's your opinion. I'm entitled to my own, so don't get mad if it's not the same as yours.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2011 07:49 PM by TDWP_FTW.)
10-23-2011 07:46 PM
associateSum9 Offline

I have to agree with the reviewer here. There really wasn't anything in this 'demo' that would make anyone want to play again. The only reason I tried the game was because of how hilarious I thought this review was.
10-23-2011 08:42 PM
Wiiboy4ever Offline

I disagree with this review. Although it had its faults, I still enjoyed it a lot.
10-24-2011 03:46 PM
onpon4 Offline

I tried this game out... and honestly, I couldn't stand the odd mix of sounds (Mario&Luigi RPG? Seriously?) and the jump physics (moving down immediately when you release the jump button). Oh, and the incessant voices! I don't want to hear a Super Mario 64 voice every time I jump!

I will give the author credit for one thing: parallax scrolling with the clouds in the background look really nice.
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2011 02:29 PM by onpon4.)
10-25-2011 04:42 PM