Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister) · Back to NCFC
Search · Member List · Calendar · HelpUser CP
FORUMS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Project AM2R - 5 Stars
Teddy Offline

Project AM2R - 5 Stars
General commentary/overview: As somebody who's never played Metroid 2 past the first couple of screens, I absolutely love the idea of this game. And it's incredibly well executed as well. This is basically what Metroid 2 would be if Nintendo gave it the Metroid Fusion treatment, and it lives up to Metroid Fusion for sure. Hands down, a pretty much flawless remake.

Pros: Perfect physics, great graphics and sound, customizable controls, feels exactly like a real modern Metroid game.

Cons: Difficulty curve can be a bit overwhelming. (The first Metroid was pretty hard to beat.) I encountered some lag issues, but closing some background programs resolved most of that. Unfortunately, the demo doesn't save your progress if you exit the game so I couldn't finish it, but that's something that will no doubt be fixed in the final version.

Gameplay
Like I said above, the difficulty starts off a bit higher than expected. It took me 4 tries to beat the first Metroid. But after that I was in the right mindset and the rest of the demo felt good. The game has to give you a good slap in the face near the beginning to let you know that you're in for a challenge, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are secrets everywhere, and getting the Spiderball upgrade in particular opens up a bunch of new pathways for those who love to explore. Even in the short time I played it, I had a blast.

Graphics
It's hard to tell how much of the game is using stock Metroid graphics (if any at all) and how much isn't. All of the custom graphics really nailed the style perfectly.

Sound
The sound had pretty much perfect ambiance. There was nothing too memorable about the sound other than that I felt completely immersed, and everything sounded like I would have expected it to. Definitely Nintendo Quality sound here.

Replay
With the amount of alternate routes and hidden secrets here, you'll be hard-pressed to find them all in your first play-through.

Final words
I don't think this is a fangame. I think someone infiltrated Nintendo's headquarters and stole this project from them, because it's that good. I eagerly await this project's conclusion. Definitely the best fangame I've tried so far.

Final Score
Star Star Star Star Star
10-23-2011 06:19 PM
Find all posts by this user