NCFC Forums
Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister) · Back to NCFC
Search · Member List · Calendar · HelpUser CP
FORUMS

Short games
Kesha Offline
Head Director

Short games
I don't know if it's because I'm old or just that I'm generally really bad at games, but one thing I like a lot is when a game isn't too long. There's been plenty of times where I wish a game was longer, but at the same time I've grown to appreciate the short games a lot more (maybe because I just don't have the time to play games all day anymore Sad )

What do you guys think about short games?
10-24-2011 11:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Milky Offline

RE: Short games
Depends on the game in question. Portal was a short game, but also a really, really good one. I enjoyed its short length because it meant it didn't overstay its welcome and added to replayability. The shorter a game is, the more fun it is to challenge run or speed run.
10-24-2011 11:58 PM
Shroomguy Offline

I kind of like it when Fangames aren't too much to chew on, I feel like if it's too long I'll never get all of it taken in. I also enjoy it when the fangame is divided up in such a way where I can finish some of it and come back to it later.

Not to say I don't like a good, long, solid fan project now and again though.
10-25-2011 12:01 AM
Slifer Horus Offline

I'm currently working on a very binary modifications to the SM64 rom, and while it doesn't count for much of anything in the long run I still enjoy working on it in my spare time. I'm hoping to try making a small game with one of the RPG Makers here in about 4 months but I don't know much about them.

I enjoy games that only take me an hour to beat, because between work and college I just don't have the time to play like when I was a kid xD
10-25-2011 01:14 AM
rcmero Offline

(10-24-2011 11:58 PM)Milky Wrote:  Portal was a short game, but also a really, really good one.
A lot of people believe that Portal 2 was not so good as the first one because of its length. I disagree.

Also, a good game needs replayability, be it a short game or a long game. Take Portal, for instance. Once you finished the game, you could play the advanced levels and the challenge levels, and even collect all the achievements. Not to mention the thousands of custom maps. Replayability at its best.

[Image: SEB_logo.png]
[Image: jzk1lx2mc9lu-1.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2011 07:10 AM by rcmero.)
10-25-2011 07:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VinnyVideo Offline

I kind of agree - that's part of why I've tried to give my in-progress a game a large of number of relatively short levels to keep things from getting boring. Super-polished games like Psycho Waluigi are an exception, but I think most fangames and indie games are best when they're not extremely long.

Course clear! You got a card.

http://bibbyteam.jaxboards.com
10-25-2011 08:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Guinea Offline

A game is supposed to have the right length for its content IMO.

There are games that take several tens of hours, and I'm sad when they're over after having immersed myself in this world for weeks if not months. A typical candidate for such a game are (good) RPGs with character development. I typically build up some sort of relationship to both the characters and the world they're living in and they are (as silly as it sounds) like "friends" to me at some point of the game.
Xenoblade is at the moment doing a really good job in this department, with the focus of the whole game being more on the relationships between the characters than the actual fighting and progressing of the story.

There are some other games though that I do enjoy, but I just want them to be over at some point. Those are mostly the games with a story that would work well in a movie. When you play the game for hours and hours and you know the only thing driving you is the story, then the game is certainly too long.

If the game itself is really good and not repetitive and also as has been said above divided in chewable chunks so you can take a break every now and then, I don't mind it being really long either. A good example for that would be the 3D Super Mario games, especially Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Come back every day to get few stars and experience a new adventure every day. And a good bonus in the end of course keeps me motivated.

As for fangames, I usually enjoy a fangame that I can complete in one session, unless it's exceptionally good, like Psycho Waluigi.

Also, like the OP said, I too have less and less time for playing video games, so I tend to enjoy shorter games a lot more than I did when I was younger, and that's why I'm more picky about the long games now and have a lot of games in my collection that I probably won't ever try to 100% (which is also a verb now).

[Image: header.png]
10-26-2011 04:10 PM
Milky Offline

(10-25-2011 07:07 AM)rcmero Wrote:  
(10-24-2011 11:58 PM)Milky Wrote:  Portal was a short game, but also a really, really good one.
A lot of people believe that Portal 2 was not so good as the first one because of its length. I disagree.

I think the problem was more in that Portal 2 was more "structured." In Portal 1, you could place portals almost anywhere for speedrunning purposes or just messing around. Portal 2 seems to have removed that and only made it so you can place them in specific, puzzle-centric spots.
10-27-2011 09:32 PM