Search · Member List · Calendar · HelpUser CP
FORUMS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Paper Mario - 2 Stars
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Administrator

Paper Mario - 2 Stars
This review is based on the blind playthrough of this game from when I played it over the NCFC Livestream.
You can watch it by going 2 hours and 45 minutes into this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foDQu1zJS34#t=2h45m30s

Most of what my comments would be in this review, are already said in that video as I play.

Pros:
- The perspective makes for good potential should it be used in a beat-em-up.
- The game isn't crash-prone
- Once you know what to do, the game's not difficult.... in fact, it may be a bit too easy, but I'm not gonna throw "easy" in the "Cons" area like many do "Hard" games.

Cons:
- The windows changing size is VERY ANNOYING.
- Control lag made this a bit harder to play on Livestream
- The engine is incredibly "90's Clickteam Default settings fangame" in design and has nearly all the problems and/or quirks associated with such.
- Where are the "hints" for the 1st Bowser boss and the "Lost Woods"-esque areas? I can't imagine people figuring these out without a guide. Also, difficulty is terribly imbalanced - the 1st Bowser form is harder than any of the other bosses due to your low HP at that time.

Gameplay:
- Intended to invoke a Super Paper Mario style, but in practice the game is more like a Mario beat-em-up, of sorts. Which makes me wish for a game to take advantage of that game concept. Experience points accumulate as you defeat enemies which upgrades your HP total.

Graphics:
- An example of "Clickteam-default design" occurs on a large amount of the maps, which have terribly inconsistent perspective.

Sound:
- Paper Mario MIDIs. Nothing special, but nothing outright inappropriate.

Replay:
- Nope.avi

Final words:
- A part of me tells me that this fangame had a lot of theoretical potential which ended up not being utilized, instead making way for a highly uninspired fangame.

Final Score (out of 5 stars): 2 stars.
10-25-2011 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user
superbowser Offline

RE: Paper Mario - 2 Stars
Thanks for the review!
I totally forgot to fix the bug with the window changing sizes... pressing f4 might fix it, but I'm not sure. About the maze like areas, there is an easy solution for getting through it that I thought people would be able to find, but I guess not (I'll keep that in mind for future games).
Also, why do you keep referring to clickteam in the review? This was made with Game Maker.
This was my first "big" fangame, so I didn't expect amazing scores or anything like that.
Again, thanks for the review!

It's a me, superbowser! Cool
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2011 01:06 PM by superbowser.)
10-25-2011 01:05 PM
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Administrator

(10-25-2011 01:05 PM)superbowser Wrote:  Also, why do you keep referring to clickteam in the review?

Because I hung around SFGHQ in the late 90's and am more familiar with Clickteam development tools than Game Maker.

In spite of this being made in a different set, though, this felt very much like the kind of game that SFGHQ would've made in that time with TGF or MMF1.
10-25-2011 04:26 PM
thefallenalchemist Offline

(10-25-2011 04:26 PM)KiddoCabbusses Wrote:  
(10-25-2011 01:05 PM)superbowser Wrote:  Also, why do you keep referring to clickteam in the review?

Because I hung around SFGHQ in the late 90's and am more familiar with Clickteam development tools than Game Maker.

In spite of this being made in a different set, though, this felt very much like the kind of game that SFGHQ would've made in that time with TGF or MMF1.

I made games in that thing when I was 16. Don't go looking for them, they're trash I'd rather forget I ever worked on. This game reminded me of some of those old games and that's a bad thing. In 2011, I expect much more from a fan game.
10-26-2011 01:43 PM