NCFC Forums
Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister) · Back to NCFC
Search · Member List · Calendar · HelpUser CP
FORUMS

Attention to minor details
TDWP_FTW Offline

Attention to minor details
Something a lot of fan games tend to have a lack of is attention to minor details. Things like background effects (For platformers and whatnot), small environmental details (For instance, bugs flying above swamp, or fish in water, etc.), and even quirky little things like idle character animations.

Most developers only look at the bigger picture, as in, they don't bother adding in little secrets, hidden stuff, environmental details above the basics (Weather, tiling, etc.), and whatnot.

It gives the game more charm, and makes people go "Hey, that's pretty cool! I love the atmosphere of this game!" While it's not necessary, it's simple to achieve, and will, most of the time, make your game better.
10-25-2011 06:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kesha Offline
Head Director

RE: Attention to minor details
Minor details are an important part of the world of your game's immersion. If you've ever played Deus Ex then you'll know how much of a difference attention to details can make.

However, I'd rather people focus on the big picture than spend too much time on the minor details... misplaced attention to details can lead to a game design nightmare.
10-26-2011 09:13 AM
rcmero Offline

Minor details can result in minor bugs. I remember in Portal 2 there was a bug in one chamber when you could pull off Wheatley from his hiding spot. And what's more, the developers didn't even expect you to do that. This is an example of minor details not explored.

[Image: SEB_logo.png]
[Image: jzk1lx2mc9lu-1.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2011 09:49 AM by rcmero.)
10-26-2011 09:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sylvanelite Offline

I see too many fan projects fail because they try and focus on the minor details.

(For example, fire emblem games with custom classes and battle engine, but no map or movement).

Generally speaking minor details are not re-usable. Minor details are also a good way to infect scope creep into a project.
10-28-2011 08:07 AM