Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister) · Back to NCFC
Search · Member List · Calendar · HelpUser CP
FORUMS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Legend of Zelda: Chiming Bells - 3.7
martijndh Offline

The Legend of Zelda: Chiming Bells - 3.7
So little love for Zelda games in the review department it seems.

General commentary/overview:
Personally I hardly ever play fangames since I'm always a bit of a perfectionist (hence my drive with my own Zelda game). When I first played this game I found plenty of things I personally could nitpick about. But then afterwards, when I summarized what I had seen and played, I came to the conclusion that there was really a lot in this game. It's not perfect, but it felt fresh. I'd say give it a try.

Pros:
+ Has it's own graphical style
+ There is a lot going on in the town (like NPC's having there own dayroutines)
+ Cutscenes and story show work put into them

Cons:
+ Movement controls are alright but could be better. This is ALWAYS what I look at first and value highly.
+ I felt a little lost in the town because of what was going on. A little more direction or build up of characters would be welcome for me. Because the town has a lot of NPC's and various have schedules so I felt a bit overwelmed. Maybe it's also a little because they walked swiftly and the night and day cycle was pretty fast.

Gameplay:
Like I said. It's okay. Personally I'd work on walking and combat, which would give it a higher overal rating, but I can imagine other people finding it good enough.

Graphics:
Has it's own personal style which was refreshing and fit well. If I had to name a con I'd mention that the basic buzz blob type enemies felt out of place in this style.

Sound:
The sound effects used when talking to NPC's where a bit much but aside from that it was good.

Replay:
The town felt like it held a lot more secret then I ended up finding so it's say the game has pretty good replay value.

Final words:
I often get the feeling people do not sufficiently realise how complex it is to build a Zelda fangame. Even a bad Zelda game takes a lot of effort to build and let me tell you: this is not a bad Zelda game. Movement, combat, items, NPC's, converstations, quests, dungeon design, cutscenes. The amount of things added to this demo impressed me so that's a big plus. However, there are some areas that felt like work in progress so that brings it a little down to 3.7.

Final Score (3.7 out of 5 stars)
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2011 01:10 PM by martijndh.)
10-28-2011 02:58 PM
Find all posts by this user
Tetiro Offline

RE: The Legend of Zelda: Chiming Bells - 3.5
I talked to martijn and he told me the score is actually 3.7. He decided to change it but couldn't change it as he submitted it. I'll let him know his post is now online

Just so everyone knows, I will be HEAVILY listening to martijn's words. He's a trusted friend on ZFGC and his words shall be used to improve the game
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2011 06:14 AM by Tetiro.)
10-29-2011 06:13 AM
Find all posts by this user