Search · Member List · Calendar · HelpUser CP
FORUMS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Legend of Zelda: Mask of the Gods - 1.2 Stars
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Administrator

The Legend of Zelda: Mask of the Gods - 1.2 Stars
This review is based of a Livestream session where I played this game.
You can view it around here;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEnXngHV0DM#t=10m

Pros:
- Umm... Well, it more or less functions.

Cons:
- The plot is difficult to figure out and even more difficult to actually tie into the Zelda world.
- The engine is amateurish and buggy

Gameplay:
Feels almost like a click-engine game. Sword-swinging looks goofy and is rarely used anyway. You spend most of this demo reading dialog. And trying to be stealthy in a ridiculous stealth-section.

Graphics:
Appear to be edits of some other thing to try to fit in with this game. I can identify some Zelda characters. I guess these aren't bad.

Sound:
If I can't understand how this game fits in the Zelda world, how could the classic Zelda overworld theme fit... a town?

Replay:
Perhaps next release?

Final words:
Unlike Final Fantasy Essence and the Mario RPGs here, this is -not- a good example of what RPG Maker XP can do.

Final Score (out of 5 stars):
1.2 stars.
10-28-2011 03:27 PM
Find all posts by this user
Donotfeedthemax Offline

RE: The Legend of Zelda: Mask of the Gods - 1.2 Stars
Thanks for reviewing! I learned a lot from the live stream and the review, and I can improve upon it tons from your comments. I'll definitely have to rework some of the first few scenes, so that the setting of the game comes across more clearly. I have always been a movie director in the past, so making a game for me tends to inherit a lot of movie traits, such as scenes and explaining the plot as it goes. But obviously these don't work so well in games...

Haha, and the sneaking will DEFINITELY be cut down... Lots. And perhaps the scenes of destroying Garo Monsters will be a lot more involved, add a lot more fighting. I'm now thinking going through the castle and destroying a whole bunch.

Overall, I'm starting to think that a Zelda fan game has its drawbacks, because people expect a certain thing from Zelda, whereas this game takes a lot of different approaches, which I personally think is the beauty of fan games, that a known world can be portraid from a different viewpoint and with different features. But changing something people already like often doesn't work well! Haha.

Anyway, thanks tons for the review!
: )

[Image: mask_of_the_gods_banner.png]
This links to the ZFGC page for my game. For my booth here, please visit http://www.nintendocfc.com/booth.html?id=23
Love reviews! Thanks!
10-30-2011 01:14 AM
Find all posts by this user