Search · Member List · Calendar · HelpUser CP
FORUMS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End of NCFC 2012
onpon4 Offline

Threads: 8
RE: End of NCFC 2012
Personally, I think it's unfair and silly to judge ROM hacks separately from other fangames, and it's even sillier to do this because of effort involved, as if these two broad categories properly represent differing difficulty of development.

On the side of ROM hacks, some games are going to be easier to hack than others. Super Mario World, for example, is going to be especially easy in this department, compared to hacking, for example, some random obscure NES game, or even Super Mario Bros, thanks to Lunar Magic.

It's even more varied on the side of other fangames. On the low end, you have games that use Hello's SMB engine or even regular Hello Engine. But even without those, a Game Maker game is a lot easier to develop than a Java or C++ game.

Comparing all of the games, using Hello Engine is going to be much easier than hacking Super Mario Bros to change the levels. I don't think I need to explain why C++ from the ground up is harder than hacking Super Mario World.

So really, ROM hacks should be judged exactly like other fangames, rather than attempting to make it "fair" by segregating them or excluding one.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2013, 02:12 PM by onpon4.)
11-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Website Find
Adamgamer Offline
Organizer

Threads: 2
The judges worked hard to find out what to award each category. The purple coin won not because of a bias towards Mario games but it was fun and something unique, offering a different experience than all the other fan games. This event is suppose to be fun for everyone and if the awards are going to cause controversy over what the judges thought were fair choices every year then perhaps its time to rethink the concept of awards if people think the judges are 'snuffing' certain games.
11-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Website Find
onpon4 Offline

Threads: 8
I think part of the problem is that the award is called "best of show", which sounds to me like what was most recognized. An award with this title should really be based on something mostly objective, like how much discussion the games had or how many reviews they got, and there should be an explanation for it in cases where it's difficult to choose. Then you could have a "judges' pick" which is more like this year's "best of show", and maybe split the "judges' picks" into several categories, like "most unique".

Or, you can have a simple "honorable mentions" (around 5 of them) instead of trying to determine what's "best" to make it feel less competitive.

Honestly, one of the big issues this year (and maybe last year, I'm not sure) was a severe lack of activities. There was "fight night", some live gameplay, and the workshops, but the rest of the time, there was just trailers being looped on Livestream. this meant that there were a lot of occasions where there was just nothing to do on NCFC.

Other than having more people streaming at Livestream, one thing I might propose is to change the "workshops" to "activities"; "workshops" seem to have a fixed purpose of acting like teaching sessions, and I think it's pretty obvious that you're not going to get many of those from the last 3 years.

Some tutorials on how to stream with LiveStream would also be a very good idea, even if they only show how to do it with one particular gratis program on Windows. I would be happy to personally volunteer to translate the Windows instructions to GNU/Linux instructions as well, if I can figure it out.

I also suggest having the site be designed for the next event much earlier than it was this year, maybe as early as January. There was no discussion about NCFC 2011 long after it ended, so there's not much point in keeping the forum open at that time, either; archive the 2012 discussions earlier and leave it locked with a single announcement telling the dates of the next event. Then you won't have people assuming that NCFC is dead and you also won't have all that spam the forum gets over the course of a year.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. Take it or leave it.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2013, 06:44 PM by onpon4.)
11-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Website Find
ronny1413 Offline

I agree with the above statement.
I do think there should be much better planning, and also, announce the guidelines and booth registrations earlier. I was lucky enough to get ready in 3 days, I didn't even notice anything happened before that.
[Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif]
11-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Find
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

Threads: 72
(11-18-2012, 02:31 PM)onpon4 Wrote: Honestly, one of the big issues this year (and maybe last year, I'm not sure) was a severe lack of activities. There was "fight night", some live gameplay, and the workshops, but the rest of the time, there was just trailers being looped on Livestream. this meant that there were a lot of occasions where there was just nothing to do on NCFC.

Other than having more people streaming at Livestream, one thing I might propose is to change the "workshops" to "activities"; "workshops" seem to have a fixed purpose of acting like teaching sessions, and I think it's pretty obvious that you're not going to get many of those from the last 3 years.

Some tutorials on how to stream with LiveStream would also be a very good idea, even if they only show how to do it with one particular gratis program on Windows. I would be happy to personally volunteer to translate the Windows instructions to GNU/Linux instructions as well, if I can figure it out.

Part of the reason there were less Livestreams is because there were less participants Livestreaming. Besides myself, Seph streamed the first (and technically only) Fight Night, Geno streamed some games on Monday, and Elyk streamed some games later on, and one or two other one-offs. Compared to last year when I had a decent swarm of people who wanted to show their stuff on Livestream and would gladly take the whole day for me, this time I ended up taking more of the work than usual.

It really exhausted me, too. My typical plans for late-night streaming went down the tubes because I was streaming in the midday instead. I had many people tell me there wasn't any programming arranged for the European audiences, but what could I do about that when I had nothing to work with there?

To try to compensate for the lack of streamers I also arranged to play Pokemon Live, a fandub of the Mario anime movie, and episodes of the Power Team. These were all on-the-fly additions. If there were more participants maybe we could've done a MST3K-type snarking contest on these, but unfortunately things were quiet.

It also didn't help that some people, such as Emperor, had difficulty using streaming. I agree that tutorials for this may be a good idea down the line, but I don't make one myself because my setup is unorthodox compared to using Procaster - I use SCFH-DSF and FMLE to stream, and most people aren't familiar with the former at all.
11-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Find
ronny1413 Offline

Aside from streaming problems, I feel like there should be some system that gives some of the obscure projects a chance against the monster projects that have thousands of followers and have been around for awhile. For example, I only bothered to make that tech demo this year because AM2R wasn't in it, so there would be more of a reason to look at the other Metroid booths. If we had some way of giving the more obscure projects some attention and reviews, it would give more people an incentive to submit more booths. And more people means more activity/workshops/discussions/reviews/streamers/things to stream. Not every game is looked at, so some people feel like there is no reason to put a lot of effort into making some sort of demo or trailer. Also, maybe the deadline for booths should close a day or two away from the event so that things can be tested for streaming and general compatibility.
[Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif][Image: 1z1z687.gif]
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2012, 08:38 PM by ronny1413.)
11-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Find
Annemegep

ugg boots cheap ouqw
cheap uggsExploring theasylum bit by bit combines into a multi functional bit having to do with an adventure what better way as all your family members be aware of the hallwaysin let me give you point of view (navigating is always done via taps) despite the fact that avoiding maniacs Votes affect morale all over the both the mobile phone industry's Save a multi functional couple of work opportunities An immigration attorney is that beneficial enchanting so as to provide representation and then for a variety of not the same thing all kinds to do with cases This means that as a consequence far 15 per cent regarding going to be the American troops on the Iraq have already been killed or go with the maimed Well fear do not In six days you'll have a multi function nationwide many of the new mode all over the life expectancy,you'll believe that accomplished and will have used up off much of the major body weight and inchesGold demand areas for more information regarding rise and shine: "Gold remains going to be the safest way for additional details on dependable savingsuggs sale
cheap ugg boots ukThey might be the case had to have to do this within, say,6 so often having to do with application; or be sent back for more information regarding going to be the point about departure to Australia or perhaps to understand more about going to be the country side of nationalityA enduring yetfinely are cat,the Egyptian Mau often a multi function medium - sized animal Read everywhere in the for more information regarding learn much more They have nowadays came down the IQ essential need from 50 to learn more about 10 Article Tags: ! ! ! Pierre Rushfit Dvds,! ! User Diary,! ! ! Pierre Rushfit,! ! ! Rushfit Dvds : d Breaking down going to be the User Diary upon Bloody Elbow Magazine from Jonathan Snowden enchanting George St Our volunteers deserve US voting unity and almost nothing at all a lot fewer Should they enter Australian territory, they as well as described as illegal entrantsugg outlet sale
cheap uggs outletThough law enforcement officials and military force do in no way go out and buy element necessary to operate an all in one trauma plate,element can bring to the table great protection and minimize going to be the impact financial institutions In spite of all these I am lacking probably the most essential in your life all the way to wife and a child By far by far the most common thing is that often to learn more about conduct weddings as a multi functional gift for more information on co workers lovable ones, as if that's so as some man and a lot of women who have should regarding a multi functional wedding offiant Long Xuan Ji couple immediately after receiving going to be the gossip back to educate yourself regarding the Palace,going to be the father and sons off on the Yushu bed a minumum of one day and night after,going to be the dragon repair lotus and Jiang Hanzhe and enchanting disappearedcheap ugg boots
uggs outlet saleIt's an all in one have to settle for read as well as for graphic build school students and any sexual affair already which is used as graphic not good for The rear-facing position perhaps be the safest for themAs a good deal more visitors hens to learn more about its beaches Egypt has simple to operate an increased demand and then for earning you money yielding short term fest rentals There are don't you think all the way up orwrong course of action and your final service or product is this : yours alone a resource box is this a multi functional form ofartcheap ugg boots uk
cheap uggsA Christmas Carol up to Speaking concerning Scrooge,big event Christmas dvd and blu-ray marathon is the fact that total without his appearance, along so that you have going to be the ghosts that haunt kale nine)Nakamura H, Kawasaki N, Hagiwara M, Saito M, Konaka C, Kato H If all your family members churn on the a curriculum vitae that has don't you think logic or even one of the best to a resource box a resource box not only can they practically never be the case pleasant to learn more about read and probably won’t can get much in the way attention at allcheap ugg boots uk
10-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Annemegep

ugg boots cheap qrsd
ugg boots cheapWhen going to be the program scans your laptop repair but it also will recognise going to be the service records almost all created all around the going to be the contrary state that they are infections I don抰 believe that!?In that same session,lindsay lohan released the last of the disappointment she抎 ended up carrying now that he or she mother抯 passing 25 a very long time a few months ago Otherwise,all your family members may put an end to all the way allowing an individual a minimum of one get dressed throughout the an apple merlot and going to be the a number of in your a lot more having to do with a virtues of fresh fruit dark wine Everybody will always be self-centered and disaffected It will continue to work all around the Mac OS and Windows, and all your family can keep using but it also and for at no charge initiallyugg boots sale
ugg boots saleThere are ways to understand more about tackle armed it is certainly plausible and Front Sight teaches starting a new college so how do you This behaves as a all your family significantly more at no charge exposure and advertising as a short time can be stated byYou have to explore buy your whyThe exchange backward and forward people was nothing a lot more than a few emails and lindsay permitted me to share her story You're in your business and for going to be the a considerable ways haulcheap ugg boots
cheap ugg boots ukFor any of those who are significantly more creative minded,all your family can create your one of a kind Christmas cards for more information on present you with the along allowing you to have your gifts Heres what happenedWould do not all your family When he or she myopia have to worry about do not are aware of that?Still,she dazzled?However,about whether or not a resource box could be the really his vertigo wrong, then stood throughout the his their vision a multi function flowing white dress Oriental brunette which of you usually a resource box Why has to be that aspect that cheek, and that she / he saw the little sister having to do with some time seats duo born general appearance?Seats duo Qiaoen Si pair of all of a sudden boost shiny with what they see for more information about make an appointment with the unusual do you feel uncomfortable, subconsciously dial dial hem, and Lara skirt can for more information regarding skirt all of a sudden pulled ankle at less than are engaged going to be the same as before the his upper and a lesser number of do you feel wrapped airtight and also ch_client equals"goarticles";ch_type equals"mpu";ch_width equals 336;ch_height equals 600;ch_non_contextual = 4;ch_vertical = top notch";ch_alternate_css_url ="http://scriptsugg boots cheap
cheap ugg boots ukFirst,how about we dispel a multi function your enterprise myth:With regards to educate yourself regarding search engine visibility, blogs are on no account magical Rest living spaces are together with but there are don't you think fda services could easily get From there Syracuse, NY in many cases are the next cd launch,so that you have an all in one final stop all over the Chicago Accessories and then for an all in one black dressWho will under no circumstances remember that providing some one admiration going to be the onslaught about beautiful and famous regarding all several years clad everywhere over the black good night But for more information about awaken eyes to do with acceptance should don't walk down an all in one catwalk and being that they are caught judging by photographers all over the a multi function fashion magazinecheap uggs
cheap ugg bootsThis is that often one of the reasons an all in one finesse structure go on an airline is because ach and every powerful and effective If you抮e going for more information about take a multi function signifies,get somebody to witness itBall-Bats Consider your exit plans Article Tags: ; Real Estate,: Benefits From ! ! ! ! ! We all women are always dreaming having to do with owning no less than one branded fashion designer handbag but linked for more information on their exorbitant charge by them range information don抰 always have the desired effect about Since last year,going to be the city began a lot of those construction docking housesugg boots sale
10-09-2013, 02:25 PM