Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NCFC Season Is Here!
Kesha Offline
Head Director

Threads: 48
Brick  NCFC Season Is Here!
It's time to get serious about NCFC.

This is our first year with having a date prepared so far in advance- unfortunately, it's not going to work out as planned and there will be a delay. Worry not though, the delay won't be too long and the new dates will be November 25th - November 29th in the Year of Luigi 2013.

What do you guys think about having the dates announced at the end of the event? Provided there are no complications, should we do it again? I'm thinking it's a good thing to have but maybe people disagree- send your feedback our way!

The countdown is ticking, and although we have the old theme up for now, a new one will rise to the occasion.

A few announcements to get out of the way.

The big one- registrations are now open. There's a few changes to how we're doing this year, and the big one is that we're accepting indie games now.

Here's the submission guidelines for that:
  1. Fangame Booths must be related to Nintendo in some way. Either it can be based off of one of Nintendo's first party intellectual properties, or a game series that has appeared exclusively on a Nintendo console at one point. Examples would be something like a Mario or Castlevania fangame, and something we wouldn't accept would be something like a Call of Duty fan game. Since we're accepting indie games now, this is a bit more of a loose guideline, but we still want to keep the Nintendo focus.
  2. For indie game booths, we have to take into consideration the fact that indie games can be for-profit (unlike fangames). We are O.K. with you selling your game- but keeping in the spirit of how we've had thins for a while, make sure there's some kind of free (as in cost) playable content for us to play your game.
  3. Booths and games must not contain adult content (nudity, sexual themes, etc.)
  4. Booths must not contain illegal content such as commercial ROMs or commercial PC games without the distributor's permission. Game mods and rom patches are OK.
  5. Booths and games should be optimized as much as they can. If you are using huge WAV files for music, or resized a whole bunch of pictures to include, you need to change that.
  6. File formats for game downloads should be ZIP, RAR, or 7Z. These are compressed folders, if you need a program to compress your game or decompress these files, try 7-zip.
  7. File should be virus-checked and not contain any adware/malware.

Another thing we are looking for with indie games- bridging the gap between fangames and indie games. If you're making indie games but you used to make fangames, I think a booth that features your old fangames in addition to your current indie game project you want to present would be really cool to see!

For Workshops:
The types of topics we're looking for are of course game development related topics. Some examples would be how to use game making tools, programming languages, level design, graphics creation, music and sound composition, and other topics along those lines.
In terms of workshops, we're looking for ideal individuals with extensive knowledge of their topic, to share and teach others these concepts. Whatever medium is necessary, as long as it is accessible by attendees, and you are comfortable using it.

If you're interested in hosting a contests, competition (video game playing or otherwise), or anything along those lines, let us know. If you're interested in helping run those kinds of things, let us know too. And if you have any ideas of things we should host- let us hear your ideas too. You can either post in this thread or send a PM or email to the staff.

We are not doing awards this year. I don't think awards has worked out the way we wanted to in the past and the best way to go here is to try an event without them and see how that works out. Booth reviews will still be accepted, and if people are interested in submitting their own list of favorite booths we can look into ways to feature those as well.

For sponsors- if you have a reasonably sized site and are interested in working with us, please get in contact with us. We'll be hunting down the usual suspects as well.

We are also looking for a graphic designer. Someone to help us with themes and wahtnot. If anyone's interested in this, get in contact with us asap. (regardless if anyone responds to this, we will have a new theme up for this year though- don't worry about that)

This is a pretty big post and hopefully it'll cover everything that needs to be said for now. Let us know if there's anything else that needs to be clarified or updated.
10-29-2013, 11:55 PM
Find
SatoruIwata Offline

Threads: 0
RE: NCFC Season Is Here!
Hello, everyone.
I have delievered this update in the latest NCFC Direct video.
Please take a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iBPtAwuZ9s
This is Satoru Iwata from Nintendo.
I am at NCFC this year. Please understand.
10-30-2013, 01:03 AM
Find
PJCLink Offline

Threads: 4
Does "indie games" include 'original' RPG games made with RPG Maker? I ask this cause have an original RPG game in the works that I might want show off soon. However, it'll have to be for free due to the game using a default run-time package with some custom materials included. Also how many booths can I register? I have two fan-games in works. Magic Keys, which in this year's event, I would like to announce a new name for Magic Keys. And a new Zelda fan game in the works that I plan to show this year. And I also have my original RPG game in the works to show off if it passes as an 'indie' game. So that's three games in total.
10-30-2013, 03:14 AM
Find
Kesha Offline
Head Director

(10-30-2013, 03:14 AM)PJCLink Wrote: Does "indie games" include 'original' RPG games made with RPG Maker?
Yes
(10-30-2013, 03:14 AM)PJCLink Wrote: Also how many booths can I register? I have two fan-games in works. Magic Keys, which in this year's event, I would like to announce a new name for Magic Keys. And a new Zelda fan game in the works that I plan to show this year. And I also have my original RPG game in the works to show off if it passes as an 'indie' game. So that's three games in total.
Please make a separate booth for each game you want to submit.
10-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Find
SuperMarioMaster Offline

Threads: 1
Aw man, totally forgot about ncfc until this popped up on facebook
Super hyped though, when is the latest we can register?
I want to try to whip something together for this, even if it won't be my greatest work
10-30-2013, 02:08 PM
Find
Atomicd1 Offline

You forgot about this? How can you forget such an event?
I increased my progression speed months ago to be certain that I would have the demo of my zelda fangame ready for this.

About the no rewards, I do not really care about the rewards part, but can people still indicate if they liked the game by other means then posting a top 10 or something like that on the forums?
10-30-2013, 02:45 PM
Find
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

Threads: 72
SuperMarioMaster: I presume that like last year, the last day you can register is the day before launch day.

Atomicd1: If it's any help, I hope the Livestream will have more events this year that tie into things such as reviewing and rewarding the entries.
10-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Find
Kesha Offline
Head Director

We'll still have likes and reviews, and if a booth owner makes a thread for their game then you can comment there as well.
10-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Find
Elyk Offline

Oh boy indie games.
10-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Find
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

Ah, yes, and while MFGG and Serenesforest probably already know, I am once again handling the Livestream this year.

But perhaps more importantly, I am submitting your fangame trailer footage to Iwata-san for the NCFC Direct presentations. Please send me your fangame trailers.

A trailer that looks like this, in particular, would be a good submission!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1POQSuBE2o

Feel free to send them to me either via private messages or this thread, or in any other method you'd prefer to contact me with.
10-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Find
SatoruIwata Offline

Threads: 0
Hello again.
Another NCFC Direct is available.
Please take a look at it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQjXF95-Y_g
This is Satoru Iwata from Nintendo.
I am at NCFC this year. Please understand.
11-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Find
onpon4 Offline

Threads: 8
Supposedly times for workshops are in EDT (UTC-4), but wouldn't it make sense for them to be in EST (UTC-5)? I get the feeling some people in the eastern time zone are going to get confused by daylight saving time being used when daylight saving time will have been over three weeks ago.
11-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Website Find
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

You're right, that probably should be updated.
11-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Find
Emperor Offline
Site Tech

Threads: 16
It has been fixed, thank you for the catch.
11-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Find
PJCLink Offline

Threads: 4
I have another question. Files needing to be virus checked was mentioned, is it okay if I use an online virus scanner like virustotal.com to check my files to make sure they're safe and include a link to my scan results? Just wondering.
11-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Find
martijndh Offline

Threads: 10
Could you also please tell us from what date we can submit our work. I ask because I'll be going on vacation abroad from the 12th till the end of the month.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2013, 01:57 PM by martijndh.)
11-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Find
onpon4 Offline

Threads: 8
(11-08-2013, 01:56 PM)martijndh Wrote: Could you also please tell us from what date we can submit our work. I ask because I'll be going on vacation abroad from the 12th till the end of the month.

You already can (you've been able to for a while).
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2013, 05:02 PM by onpon4.)
11-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Website Find
martijndh Offline

Right, I missed that.
For everybody else: You can register yourself via a link in the upper right of the main page.
11-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Find
Kesha Offline
Head Director

(11-08-2013, 12:40 PM)PJCLink Wrote: I have another question. Files needing to be virus checked was mentioned, is it okay if I use an online virus scanner like virustotal.com to check my files to make sure they're safe and include a link to my scan results? Just wondering.
You don't have to submit virus scan results- just don't send us malware. If you're confident that you're not, then there's nothing to worry about.
11-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Find
martijndh Offline

I've not had any reply to my trailer submission a couple of days ago so just to be use I'm also posting it here. (Sorry if any advertisement pops up. It's google's doing because of copyright on the song).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6bQuObwE...5F66704FF9
11-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Find