NCFC Forums
Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister) · Back to NCFC
Search · Member List · Calendar · HelpUser CP
FORUMS

NCFC a bit slow this year?
CM30 Offline

NCFC a bit slow this year?
Maybe it's just me, but it feels like interest in the event isn't quite what it used to be. I mean, only a couple of the booths have discussion topics, and I don't recall any booth reviews this year whatsoever.

Is interest slipping? Any ideas on how to get the event a bit more publicity?

Want to read interviews about fan games or interesting opinion pieces about the gaming world? If so, check out Gaming Reinvented today!

And if you're a Wario fan, you should definitely check out Wario Forums.
08-30-2015 09:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

RE: NCFC a bit slow this year?
This year was a bit of a transitional period, as we moved from too-deep-into-November-for-anyone-to-actually-participate to caught-everyone-off-guard-with-summer-date.

Believe it or not, this was bustling compared to NCFC 2014.
08-31-2015 04:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
onpon4 Offline

Yeah, the forums pretty much saw no activity, but the streams were bursting with life compared to last year. The only real problem was it was all sort of haphazardly done this year; there were no real planned events or anything like that, pretty much just Kiddo and the others streaming stuff at a whim. And of course, that also meant that the activity wasn't visible on the forums.

My website: https://onpon4.github.io

[Image: 590167.png]
08-31-2015 04:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

A few major factors contributed to the Livestream having a bit of a haphazard "Stream whatever, whenever" feel;

1) I promised myself that NCFC would happen on the set date whether I was actually ready or not. The site layout when it launched was literally a last-day addition, a combination of work by myself and Emperor, since we didn't have real layout work done this year. Working on things like this combined with the fact that the vast majority of notable NCFC booth entries were last-second left me not a lot of time to pre-prepare livestreams.

2) While Plom, Pyro, Gamma and Onpon did well to livestream content, overall there was still less livestreamers than there were back in NCFC 2012 or 2013, thus I was streaming the majority of the time, which led to exhaustion.

3) As with previous NCFCs, audiences peaked in the afternoon hours and dropped in the AM hours, meaning anyone who wanted to livestream was competing for those times while the other hours were so empty that no one even cared if I did a 7-hour Fire Emblem: Elibian Nights session.

4) Attempts to schedule events like Fight Night or Tournaments/Contests ended in a lack of the minimum-required participants.

5) Again, I couldn't find a radio DJ this year. Although perhaps the Livestreaming may replace the radio DJ stuff anyway.

On that note, it seems that generally Livestream participation is taking away from forum participation, rather than adding to it. I'm not entirely sure what to do about this.

Overall these are mostly issues that I kinda knew where going to happen if the summer NCFC plan was a success. (which it seems to have been.)

Hopefully next year, Livestreams will be better organized - I'd love it if there was a system set up where folks could pre-request livestream time for a specific booth. I think it might also be a good idea, if the Livestream and real-time participation become that much more important to NCFC, to integrate the "Media" page and the news page into a main "hub" page.

There were improvements on the Livestream in general, but mostly in regard to functionality and usability rather than the content of the streams themselves - in particular, the restream capability, which was also a very last-minute addition.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2015 04:09 AM by KiddoCabbusses.)
09-01-2015 04:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply