Search · Member List · Calendar · HelpUser CP
FORUMS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
NCFC 2010 Feedback
Char Offline
Site Tech

NCFC 2010 Feedback
Post your opinions on NCFC 2010 here - what was good, what was bad? What could be changed? Feature suggestions, complaints, etc.

What we're not looking for is:
Bug reports, since the site core is being re-written this year
Design complaints, since the site has been redesigned this year

Otherwise, shoot
06-28-2011 05:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Kesha Offline
Head Director

RE: NCFC 2010 Feedback
http://nintendocfc.com/OLD/forum/index.php
The old forums are now available to the public in read-only form. I figured I'd post this here as any feedback relating to 2010's forums is welcome here.
06-29-2011 04:15 PM
Find all posts by this user
Flare Offline

The atmosphere in the chat was pretty great. I had fun taking part of the events and meeting new faces.

The only thing that really bothered me is the way some of the reviewing was handled. I remember one of the fan games being judged by someone who didn't even bother playing it, mainly because they dislike the series of the game it was based off.
08-25-2011 04:47 AM
DJ Yoshiman
Unregistered

(08-25-2011 04:47 AM)Flare Wrote:  The atmosphere in the chat was pretty great. I had fun taking part of the events and meeting new faces.

The only thing that really bothered me is the way some of the reviewing was handled. I remember one of the fan games being judged by someone who didn't even bother playing it, mainly because they dislike the series of the game it was based off.
Was it done by a staff, or a participant?
08-25-2011 01:22 PM
Flare Offline

A staff member, I believe. It was one of those vs review events.

[Image: flareoutsig.png]
08-25-2011 03:39 PM
DJ Yoshiman
Unregistered

Oh, the battles of the creators. Those are up to the creator's opinions, not the staff's. But it is lousy to see it, none the less.
08-25-2011 11:31 PM
Flare Offline

Ah, I was jumping into conclusions. Thanks for clearing it up.

[Image: flareoutsig.png]
08-26-2011 01:25 AM
Jalopes Offline

The voting system was a bit flawed, but I believe we all discussed that extensively last year already. Any news on how it's gonna be handled this year?
08-26-2011 03:16 AM
Kesha Offline
Head Director

It will be done differently this year, and I will try to make it clear how the best of show is decided so there's no confusion. We haven't decided exactly how it's going to be done but that'll be ironed out soon.
08-26-2011 04:02 AM
Jalopes Offline

Ah, cool. Looking forward to it.

Anyway, the other things that I thought were awkwardly handled were the Fight Nights; I liked the concept, but in practice it was kind of difficult to set up and even more difficult to organize. Will they be back this year?
08-27-2011 02:25 AM
Kesha Offline
Head Director

Fight Nights were cool, and I'd like to have them again.

I really don't want to do them half-hearted though, so we really gotta make sure we can overcome the difficulties we had last year before going through with them again. It's worth nothing that Mecha left his staff position, and they were his idea so we have a bit less to work with than what we had last year. Luckily this year we have experience with them though, so the future of Fight Nights isn't totally dark and dismal.

If you have suggestions for what we could do about them or more specific criticism, that could definitely help a lot though. I know one thing we'll definitely need is contingency plans in case things go wrong because we really didn't last year and it really affected the quality of an otherwise great idea.
08-27-2011 05:48 AM
Jalopes Offline

I would say the biggest problem with Fight Nights was having to rely on the people who made the games to be there for them. I think before doing them, we should probably get a guarantee from the people involved that they can participate, and then get a back up in case they don't show.

If neither them or the back ups show then I dunno, maybe in that case we could just have a thing where everybody who is there can play the games and decide collectively which is better, without the creators there to comment. I dunno, though, it's tough to organize something like that since there's a lot of people you have to rely on.

If we don't do Fight Nights, we could always do some other stuff in their place that could be easier to set up; stuff like creator interviews (which don't even need to be planned since you can just catch people whenever they're available - you can release them at a specific time, though), more "spotlight on ______" segments where people on the radio or in the irc play certain games and comment on them, maybe getting developer input along the way, etc. There's a lot of things that could be done to expose people to the different booths without necessarily needing to put them up for a competition.
08-27-2011 11:56 AM
Char Offline
Site Tech

all games should get equal attention. it's kind of unfair that big projects like SMBX and AM2R got all the attention last year while smaller games were ignored.
08-27-2011 02:00 PM
Jalopes Offline

(08-27-2011 02:00 PM)Char Wrote:  all games should get equal attention. it's kind of unfair that big projects like SMBX and AM2R got all the attention last year while smaller games were ignored.

This is more fair, but it's difficult to give completely equal attention. The best way to handle it would be spontaneously, see who's online or in the IRC and go from there. But planned events are usually more interesting, so idk.
08-27-2011 03:35 PM