NCFC Forums

Full Version: Judge's decisions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
this is the thread where the judges can post what games they pick for best of show and why
one for each category
Didn't get a chance to play all the games in every category (work killed me this week :() but from the ones I did play all the way through:

Mario:
Psycho Waluigi
This game highly impressed me since instead of being a typical Mario platforming clone, Thunder Dragon went one step further and went in a completely different direction with unique gameplay while at the same time being true to the roots of the franchise.

Metroid:
Project AM2R
The game has been in the works for awhile and it shows. Probably the most polished fan game I'VE EVER PLAYED! And also the fact that its a perfect remake of the original game boy game as well.

Zelda:
The Legend of Zelda: Threads of Despair
Really love the art direction and the engine is showing some promise so far.

Game of show: Psycho Waluigi
As reasons stated above, the most unique fan game at the convention and it honestly feels like a game Nintendo would of created.

Runner up:Mushroom Patrol - The Midas Machine
A Mario platformer that is highly polished while adding some creative gameplay twists without resorting to emulating Nintendo's efforts while having an original art style.

2nd runner up: Project AM2R
Most polished fan game I've ever played, nuff said.
Alright, I've been given judgeing ability due to my Livestreaming, so here's my votes.
Just a bit of note, I went out of my way to give Livestream time for the less popular games, and this influences my choices:

Mario:
Super Mario Fusion Revival
Tanks! Tanks! T- oh, serious answer? Dur. Well, the crossover elements are neat, and the level designs show a lot of potential.

Metroid:
Rendzevous Delano
I didn't play AM2R so I can't fairly vote for that. Of the few Metroids I did play, this is the one that was good.

Zelda:
BS Zelda Map 1 + 2 Lite
Because I'd be a SUCKER if I didn't vote for a booth I submitted myself.

Misc:
Fire Emblem: Elibian Nights
For the Fire Emblem fans! A nicely done ROM hack.

Game of Show: BS Zelda Map 1 + 2 Lite
I'm pretty sure this is gonna be disregarded, but aw, well! Worth trying!

Runner Up: Fire Emblem: Elibian Nights
ROM hacks don't tend to get enough credit in the fangame community.

2nd Runner up: Super Mario Fusion Revivial
An actual fangame for this one.
(10-28-2011, 11:57 PM)KiddoCabbusses Wrote: [ -> ]Mario:
Super Mario Fusion Revival
Tanks! Tanks! T- oh, serious answer? Dur. Well, the crossover elements are neat, and the level designs show a lot of potential.

Metroid:
Rendzevous Delano
I didn't play AM2R so I can't fairly vote for that. Of the few Metroids I did play, this is the one that was good.

Zelda:
BS Zelda Map 1 + 2 Lite
Because I'd be a SUCKER if I didn't vote for a booth I submitted myself.

Misc:
Fire Emblem: Elibian Nights
For the Fire Emblem fans! A nicely done ROM hack.

Game of Show: BS Zelda Map 1 + 2 Lite
I'm pretty sure this is gonna be disregarded, but aw, well! Worth trying!

Runner Up: Fire Emblem: Elibian Nights
ROM hacks don't tend to get enough credit in the fangame community.

2nd Runner up: Super Mario Fusion Revivial
An actual fangame for this one.

You forgot the EarthBound category.
I didn't play a single game in the Earthbound category and thus couldn't make a selection there.
IMO, we need better judges. It seems to me that the judges ought to play all of the games, at least briefly. (Or perhaps just all of the games in a given category and have judges for each category.)
(10-30-2011, 09:02 PM)Dragonheart91 Wrote: [ -> ]IMO, we need better judges. It seems to me that the judges ought to play all of the games, at least briefly. (Or perhaps just all of the games in a given category and have judges for each category.)
Well the original plan was to select judges that weren't part of the staff but I didn't end up having that opportunity so I just said "let's just have the staff play the role of judges this time around because that's basically how it always was before..." but unfortunately the staff were crazy busy and didn't get to do much judging. Emperor and I didn't even submit anything so obviously this didn't work out as planned.

Good note for the future for what NOT to do though haha
(10-30-2011, 09:02 PM)Dragonheart91 Wrote: [ -> ]IMO, we need better judges. It seems to me that the judges ought to play all of the games, at least briefly. (Or perhaps just all of the games in a given category and have judges for each category.)

A "brief" look at the games would probably not make a good overall impression, and the amount of games was simply too large for me to have navigated through them -all-. I spent hours and hours on the various games I got to play as it was.