FORUMS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Booth Registrations are here
Kesha Offline
Head Director

Threads: 48
Booth Registrations are here
Sorry for the wait! Whew! Please refer to the submission guidelines before submitting.

You can register here

Be sure to get the word out!

Workshop registrations coming soon as well.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011, 10:10 PM by Kesha.)
10-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Find
D-Dazzle Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Booth Registrations are here
Just registered SPBW's booth, just wanted to say the booth itself is still under construction, but will be finished within the next 24 hours. I registered already because I tend to forget stuff like that easily ^^

The booth, BTW: http://www.spbw-ncfc.tk/
10-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Find
Kritter Offline

Threads: 2
You mentioned booths can be registered without having a playable version of a game. Obviously this would put it at somewhat of a disadvantage though when the whole "best of 2011" comes around. What's the benefits of having a booth if your game isn't done or has no playable form?

Perhaps the booth registration FAQ should be updated to make this kind of thing clear, i'm still a tad fuzzy on the whole booth / entering thing, never having made a booth for any game before.
10-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Find
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

Threads: 72
D'aww. I just thought of something I wanted to add to my booth (a link to a Youtube video), but I apparently don't have the right permissions to edit it now.
10-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Find
Kesha Offline
Head Director

(10-11-2011, 10:38 PM)Kritter Wrote: You mentioned booths can be registered without having a playable version of a game. Obviously this would put it at somewhat of a disadvantage though when the whole "best of 2011" comes around. What's the benefits of having a booth if your game isn't done or has no playable form?

Perhaps the booth registration FAQ should be updated to make this kind of thing clear, i'm still a tad fuzzy on the whole booth / entering thing, never having made a booth for any game before.
Yeah, if you don't have something playable you probably won't win best of show or anything like that. I wouldn't worry too much about that though, NCFC isn't really a contest, that's just a sort of extra thing we do.

Regardless of the status of your project, having a booth at NCFC is some publicity for your project. People from all over fangaming sites come and check out the games so there's a bit more going on here than you'd see just posting it at an individual site. Things are more active here too with all the events and such going on that keeps people interested during the event.

I don't really know of a good way to describe booths, so I'd just say look at previous years for examples- Midas Machine always has a great booth. The idea you want to go for with a booth is think of like a booth at E3 or another convention- you want to showcase your stuff in something like that but in the form of a simple site. Maybe like an advertisement flyer would be a good example too- just content directly about your game without the complexity of say a full site with lots of navigation and whatnot. Registration and that other thread on submission guidelines should help you figure out what you need... any specific questions I can answer though.
(10-11-2011, 10:40 PM)KiddoCabbusses Wrote: D'aww. I just thought of something I wanted to add to my booth (a link to a Youtube video), but I apparently don't have the right permissions to edit it now.
hmm... I don't think that's intentional, I'll get that checked out.

10-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Find
Kritter Offline

I see, that clarifies it a bit more. The initial FAQ makes it sound like you need to have something to show, good to know that's not the case.

I may yet make a booth and trailer for my game if I get the time. I had hoped to get it done by now but of course it's never that easy.

Thanks.
10-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Find
Emperor Offline
Site Tech

Threads: 16
I've split the posts about site issues to a new thread, here, to make it easier to clarify and fix these issues.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011, 05:28 PM by Emperor.)
10-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Find
Wiiboy4ever Offline

Threads: 5
what is a workshop?
10-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Find
DJ Yoshiman

(10-12-2011, 06:11 PM)Wiiboy4ever Wrote: what is a workshop?

Submission Guidelines Wrote:WORKSHOPS ARE IMPORTANT TOO, we didn't get many submissions last year so here's what a workshop entails:

DJ Yoshiman Wrote:In terms of workshops, we're looking for ideal individuals with extensive knowledge of their topic, to share and teach others these concepts. Whatever medium is necessary, as long as it is accessible by attendees, and you are comfortable using it.
10-12-2011, 11:42 PM
VinnyVideo Offline

Threads: 1
Are joke games like this accepted? The game I'm talking about eight levels long, but it isn't completely Mario-based - think Waligie or Super Mario Melatonin.
Course clear! You got a card.

http://bibbyteam.jaxboards.com
10-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Website Find
Kesha Offline
Head Director

hmm... I'd have to see more details tbh because I don't think a general answer can be given, it'd have to be a case-by-case answer.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2011, 09:29 AM by Kesha.)
10-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Find
DJ Yoshiman

if it's Revenge of the Walrus, i'd say it's fine - i mean, What is This Thing was in NCFC last year
10-14-2011, 01:29 PM
VinnyVideo Offline

Threads: 1
I know ROTW would be accepted, since it was at NCFC last year - it's basically a game that combines standard platformer fare with bits of off-the-wall surrealism. The game I was talking about was Cheerwine Deluxe, which is more Waligie-ish in tone, and while it stars Iggy Koopa, some of the levels have very little to do with the Mario series.
Course clear! You got a card.

http://bibbyteam.jaxboards.com
10-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Website Find
Kesha Offline
Head Director

Well, i think that if it stars a Mario character or takes place in a Mario setting then it'd still be a Mario fangame... I mean part of fangames is taking ideas and doing your own thing with them, so things like shoving Mario into the past of a website or Iggy Koopa into a wacky unexplainable environment would totally be acceptable.
10-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Find
Black Squirrel Offline
Site Designer

It would also look nicer if the images provided were screenshots of gameplay, not titles/logos.

There was also a mistake when registrations went online - 240x160 should be the minimum resolution, not 160x120.
[Image: 9328_s.png]
10-15-2011, 05:22 AM
Website Find
PJCLink Offline

Threads: 4
I registered my booth for my Zelda fan game.

Here's the booth: http://www.wix.com/centolap11/zeldamagickeys
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I make Zelda fan fics!
10-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Find
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

It's usually common practice to keep links for the booths hidden until the event starts.

That being said, having links to the demos sent to me early is useful for me personally, as someone who plans to play the games over Livestream. Could skip a boring sequence of me downloading stuff.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2011, 12:42 AM by KiddoCabbusses.)
10-20-2011, 12:41 AM
Find
Kritter Offline

I probably won't get time to create a booth this year. I had hoped to get my game DONE, but of course the last few weeks have seen everything thrown at me and I haven't had time to create a trailer, booth or anything.

No biggie though, without even so much as a playable demo it'd really just be a website with a trailer and some screens.
10-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Find
PJCLink Offline

Threads: 4
(10-20-2011, 12:41 AM)KiddoCabbusses Wrote: It's usually common practice to keep links for the booths hidden until the event starts.

Oops, did not know that. You are right though.

(10-20-2011, 12:41 AM)KiddoCabbusses Wrote: That being said, having links to the demos sent to me early is useful for me personally, as someone who plans to play the games over Livestream. Could skip a boring sequence of me downloading stuff.

So you're saying it's possible that we can have the games being played on the Livestream? If that's what you mean then that would be cool.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I make Zelda fan fics!
10-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Find
KiddoCabbusses Offline
Head Director

(10-20-2011, 03:15 PM)PJCLink Wrote: So you're saying it's possible that we can have the games being played on the Livestream? If that's what you mean then that would be cool.

Indeed! This is more or less what I did last SAGE, and why I thought it'd be a good idea to have a Livestream.

Of course, if anyone wants to use the Livestream for other "Live Events" of sorts, that'd be great, too; the SAGE Livestream had streamed concerts and big-name interviews. It'd be great if NCFC could have something to compare.
10-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Find